A Level Mandarin Course
(AS & A2)
Students of our A level course in Chinese will develop their ability to communicate confidently and effectively in Chinese, and consider the study of the language in a broader context. They’ll learn about the culture and society of one or more countries or communities where Chinese is spoken.
Our A-level of Mandarin Course comprises of two parts: GCE AS and A2 Chinese.
GCE AS Chinese Course:
In recent years there has been an increase in the production of and demand for higher level Chinese course. This is due both to the rise in the number of schools studying Chinese and to the deepening interest in Chinese in the world in general. Schools who have pioneered the teaching of Chinese to GCSE level now need course to take their students from this level to that of AS and beyond.
WGC Language and Tuition Centre adopt a well-designed tectbook, “Chinese for AS (simplified Characters)”. Edexcel, the examining board has revised its A level examinations to incorporate new tests of speaking and listening. Such changes need to be prepared for by creating new approaches and new materials. Chinese for AS does just that.
- Our course aims to lead the student of Chinese from GCSE to AS level as far as vocabulary, grammar and cultural content are concerned. It can also be used for the IB (the International Baccalaureate), Pre-U (Cambridge Pre–Uis a new qualification that prepares learners with the skills and knowledge they need to succeed at university), HSK (Chinese Proficiency Test) or students taking Chinese studies at university.
- This course will add more than 1200 new characters to the student’s existing GCSE vocabulary. It helps students to revise and consolidate at the end of every unit.
- It familiarises students with exam-type questions and tasks
conveys relevant cultural information by means of texts, exercises and quizzes at the end of each unit.
- It stimulates students to express their opinions and views to communicate effectively
- covers the topics listed in Edexcel’s Specification September 2007
is accompanied by a CD with listening materials
- is suitable also for the IB, Pre-U, HSK and self-study
A2 Chinese Course:
WGC Language and Tuition centre offers a two-part Chinese for A Level course. It focuses on the requirements of the new Edexcel GCE A Level specification offered for first teaching in September 2008. The AS Chinese course provides a smooth transition from GCSE to AS level, and the A2 Chinese course completes the course through to A2, following the new three-unit exam specification.
A2 Level Chinese Course covers the five A2 topics, followed by chapters specifically covering the Research-based writing aspect of the exam. The course books progressively build the acquisition of Chinese language skills, concepts, knowledge, understanding and key skills.